02 October 2005

Wild Sox.

Well, the weekend was dramatic, if not quite as dramatic as it could have been. I had hoped for some brawlin', but even Randy Johnson's short temper held up under the strain of having the umpire call some of his pitches balls. There were no major plunkings or curses exchanged. It's been a seriously civil season between the Yank-me's and the Red Sox.

Anyway, the Red Sox came out of the weekend with the wild card. While the YES Network announcers liked to remind us all that it's the 8th year the Sox have come second (the most in the history of professional sports), I'm pleased to be headed into the playoffs as a wild card.

I did my part for my team (on this blog, and at home... boy have I consumed a lot of New England beer lately). I'm pleased that other members of Red Sox Nation have taken their roles seriously as well:



I gotta give respeck to this guy. Well done, my friend. You are a true fan. If I wasn't afraid of getting my ass kicked for this in Brooklyn, I would have done this also. I didn't burn anything this year, but the postseason is young. I may set fire to every pair of white socks I have by Tuesday. You never know.

Meanwhile, the big question now is who's it gonna be for MVP? Will it be this man:



Or Mr. Alex Rodriguez (who apparently "doesn't care" if he get is or not. Riiight.)? Big Papi, you have my meaningless vote. You have come through in countless games. Walk-offs, tying it up, sometimes singlehandedly winning it for us. You deserve it, man. And at 29, let me be among the many to say I hope you'll grace us with a long career in Boston, like your clutch-hitting predecessor Yaz.

And to the rest of you, 2005 Boston Red Sox: Thank you for a great season. You continue to be the loves of my life. Now go get 'em.

Oh, and also: Mr. Schilling - Well done.



images from boston.com

No comments: