27 October 2005

Me! Me!


There's a new edition of The Elements of Style, Strunk and White's seminal pocket guide for good writing. I'm pretty sure it was Mr. Strunk who turned me against the word "utilize" for life. For this, I thank him. He's shown me the light on countless grammatical and stylistic matters. And, you'll think this is insane, but the book is actually a good read. It is the perfect example of the vigorous prose he advocates. It's engaging, economical, and hilarious. After it, you'll pick up Nabokov and mutter at his frivolous excess; his use of $20 words (ok, maybe not, but you'll think about it). You'll pick up Hemingway and his humble verbs and nouns arranged in their correct order, sprinkled judiciously (see? I just used an adverb, and I'm beating myself up about it right now!) with adjectives will become a symphony.

The new edition is hardbound in bright red cloth. It contains illustrations by a children's book/New Yorker cover artist. It's an illustrated fourth edition of AWESOME. And it will be mine. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon.

I cannot believe it took Daily Candy to alert me to its existence. I'm slipping.

Who's excited? Anyone? Anyone?

Ok.

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

I am wicked excited about the illustrated Elements of Style! I heard about it on NPR. I think you can see sample illustrations on the webpage for Morning Edition.

I am cool.

Sheena said...

I checked it out at B&N on Wednesday. The illustrations are awesome!

Anyone who likes the Elements of Style is cool by me.