20 October 2005

He showed "it" to me, bought me an ice cream cone, and told me not to tell my parents.




This new ad for eBay makes me wildly uncomfortable. It's something about the spokesman's cadence, the calm way he approaches the "it," as it sits defenseless on its little pedestal. The look he gives the camera... is it coy? Knowing? Does it seem to anyone else that once the camera's off and the "it" and he are alone he's going to do naughty things to it? Or maybe fire up his own camera for a personal movie of some kind?

Really, the moment that icks me out the most is this:



I know, it's a pronoun made out of foam or something, and not a little kid or your grandma. And perhaps the man's wedding ring is meant to make me feel more comfortable with him, but I think his wife would disapprove of this little encounter. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I don't want to know what "it" is, nor do I want to be anywhere near it. Because this dude could be lurking somewhere in the shadows nearby.

If you haven't seen the spot, crafted by eBay's new agency BBDO, you can catch it on the website. Its weirdness is better conveyed in video than my little screenshots here.

2 comments:

malachi trizec said...

i think it's dirtier/scarier with the wedding ring.

J said...

yeah, I agree. The ring makes it seem like he's hiding something, like his sick love for the word "it" spelled with foam letters.