04 October 2005

We interrupt your Red Sox-related programming...

For New Glarus, Wisconsin. America's "Little Switzerland." Yes, such a place exists. I was doing some Googling for a different post, and I landed upon this gem of a website. They have Swiss-themed activities and festivals, and pictures of ladies with giant steins of beer. Do yourself a favor and go to the website. And click on the link for the New Glarus song. You won't regret it.

The actual Glarus in Switzerland (what New Glarners would likely call "the old country") is beautiful. I've been hiking there with my dad (he pretty much ran vertical circles around me while I huffed and puffed). It's full of farms with harmoniously-belled cows. It's a little slice of heaven.

I'm sure New Glarus is quite lovely, but what amuses me is the idea of a "Little Switzerland." Is it where you go to get high-grade chocolate with 80% cocoa solids for half the price? Where you get genuine handbags for twice the price? Or maybe just shipments of Rivella, the soda made with lactoserum? Does everything happen on time there? Flawless public transport?

Reminds me of a recent episode of Arrested Development, in which Michael ventures into Wee Britain to suss out his father's connections to housing developments in Iraq. Wee Britain is full of people with bad teeth and they drive in the wrong side of the car. Michael is then struck by a Mary Poppins puppet that's gone awry (was that what it was? My mind's a sieve). In New Glarus, perhaps they have some kind of puppetry involving the monk on [Old] Glarus's crest. Road trip to Wisconsin, anyone?

1 comment:

J said...

well we should probably go here too-though I imagine it's cheaper to get to Switzerland. I think I had Glarus beer before, there was a cow on it, quite good.