21 October 2005

I'm pretty sure I could do that.


From Reuters:

SIMI VALLEY, California - President George W. Bush on Friday called a U.N. report that implicates Syrian officials in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri "deeply disturbing" and urged the United Nations to take up the matter as quickly as possible.

Bush told reporters at the Ronald Reagan presidential library that the U.N. report suggested the Hariri assassination "could not have taken place" without Syrian involvement.

Hariri and 20 others were killed in an explosion in Beirut February 14. U.N. investigators implicated senior Syrian officials in the bombing.

"The report is deeply disturbing," Bush said.

He said he had asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to request that the United Nations "convene a session as quickly as possible" to discuss the report.


I would really like to adopt this "reacting and urging results" system to my job. One of our freelancers emails to ask why, after 45 days, he has not received a payment. I issue a statement (by which I mean write him back) that reads: "I find it deeply disturbing that you have not yet been paid. I urge the Accounts Payable Department to rectify this matter as soon as possible."

Then I'll go clear brush in Crawford for six weeks.

I know that being President means doing a lot of "calling on so-and-so to do such-and-such" from a podium, but maybe the White House should at least make it look like he's working at something other than bringing about the apocalypse. At least give him a phone to hold.


No comments: