02 October 2005

Opinions? We've got 'em.

I realize that the 2004 World Series win cast a spotlight on my favorite nine (or, um, you know... forty) - can they do it again, do they deserve to go to the playoffs (this fellow seems to believe otherwise... and bemoans those poor 26-championship Yanks having to *sob* fly to Anaheim) or would they ever get to go to the playoffs if the wild card didn't exist (see article above)? Gone are the days when we could fly under the radar. There's a title to defend, so everyone wants a piece of explaining why they can't or don't deserve it or how they're not the same team as last year and won't make it happen. I resent this emerging cottage industry. Dammit, I'm a native (dyed-in-the-wool, from-the-womb) fan! I'm the one with opinions borne of experience and years of observation! You can't criticize them! You can't pay attention to them! That's what I do.

Excited as I am, I do agree with the Soxaholix that the champagne celebrating in the Sox clubhouse made me nervous (and in the Yanks locker room, it was annoying, with Torre's bizarre weeping, "boohoohooo we won as usual, what a surprise. I'm overwhelmed!"). A nice punctuation on the year with a trouncing of the Yankees, great to get into the post-season in the wild card spot (the last three WS champs were wild cards, BTW, you naysayers...), but I'd appreciate a little reserve. I didn't dump a beer on my cat in celebration. Both the cat and I know that there is much work to be done. They should have been a wee bit contrite. "Sorry about nearly giving you all a frickin' coronary for the past few weeks. We're glad that it worked out and we're going to pull it together for you because we love you as much as you love us." Let's not forget, guys, I'm not getting paid a gazillion dollars for this. All I get is the enjoyment of watching you play. And hopefully watching you win. You get paid either way. You clinched the wild card last year, and the year before. So maybe we can consider this routine, and remember the hard work is ahead? Hey, I'll be the first to say that you deserved the wild card, and I am THRILLED to have more fall baseball to watch. It wasn't my ideal situation (Anaheim-Chicago-Boston-Cleveland), but I'll take it. I'll take it and like it. You go out there and make me proud.



image of wally the green monster from bosoxclub.com

3 comments:

Flushy McBucketpants said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Flushy McBucketpants said...

I don't remember if I told you, but I dreamed of a Red Sox-Braves series a few weeks ago. I don't know what this means. But the last time something like that happened to me (predicting Joe Carter would hit the series winning home run for the Blue Jays based on the fact that he was on the cover of Baseball Digest), my prediction came true.

Anonymous said...

that might be interesting. BoSox vs. the team formerly known as the Boston Beaneaters. Of course, we'll need to get by the White Sox first. And while I'm hopeful, I'm (predictably) nervous.