07 October 2005

There is no joy in Mudville...

Well, I had to haul ass to get to a TV to watch (stupid frickin' 4pm start), but I got to kiss my baseball season goodbye.

It hasn't sunk in completely yet.. or at least, I'm retreating the comfort of being disappointed in the Red Sox. A good run to end in loading the bases with no outs and getting nothing done.

As I have mentioned to anyone willing to listen, I'm happy to lose to the White Sox if we're going to lose to anyone. They're an old team with a long and checkered history. Here's hoping they can throw off that Black Sox curse. And, it's nice not to have the stress of moving on and playing with zero pitchers (whither Pedro? Derek Lowe?).

However, winning is fun, and getting a taste of it last year has spoiled me, if only a little.

Another bright side? I've begun compiling my shopping list for next Spring. Theo, you may expect a memo soon.

Other requests: Unload Renteria, Mr. Dead Spot in the Beginning of the Lineup. He's no good. Too fragile. Get that Orlando Cabrera back. Also, a new 2nd baseman, please. And though I love K. Millar and John Olerud... maybe one first baseman for the price of one would be advisable. You can use the difference to buy Vladi to play center and trade JD for some good pitching prospects (and then monkeys will fly out of my butt). Think of it... a power-hitting Dominican enclave... perhaps that would inspire Pedro to beg you to take him back?

Oh, right. And don't forget this time: PITCHERS.

On another topic entirely: Why is Sweaty McCrazyEyes named Comeback Player of the Year? And will some girl please explain to me the appeal? I mean, really. Pretty he ain't. Scary and bigger than an aircraft carrier, yes. But cute and charming, no.

image from boston.com

No comments: