31 October 2005

Hold me. I'm scared.


Theo leaves Sox

By Globe Staff

In a stunning development, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has declined the club's offer of a three-year extension of his contract, and will leave the organization.

The Red Sox announced this evening that Epstein will continue to work with the club for several days "to assist in an orderly transition and to prepare further for the upcoming GM meetings and other off-season activities."

“My decision not to return as general manager of the Red Sox is an extremely difficult one,” Epstein said in a statement to the media. “I will always cherish the relationships I developed here and am proud to have worked side-by-side with so many great people, in and out of uniform, as together we brought a World Championship to Boston.

“In my time as general manager, I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization. During the process leading up to today’s decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox.

Epstein had been expected to accept a three-year deal worth $1.5 million per year but after indications that he would take that offer, he changed his mind. The three-year deal Epstein signed in 2002 expires at midnight tonight.



Well kiss me in the morning and then just walk away. I am shocked. He's leaving. Everyone has him in the bag and as it turns out, we don't.

This is a hair-raising development. Granted, it ain't the end of the world, but he's the guy who put the '04 Sox together. The one with the balls to jettison Nomah. He courted Curt. He got us The Greek (er, Jewish) God of Walks. Brookline's favorite son... leaving? 'Scuse me. I need to put my head between my knees for a moment.

Happy Effing Halloween, Boston. Now what? And more importantly, who?

No comments: