29 September 2005

Can he wiggle out of this one?

Well, Judy Miller has agreed to testify after being released from her confidentiality agreement by I. Lewis Libby. Nice of him to let her rot in jail for 12 weeks before getting around to telling her (Reuters story here).

While I'm not one to go tongue-kissing Judy "aluminum tubes" Miller for being a paradigm of journalistic integrity, I have to hand it to her. She stuck to her guns. I'm a little confused about Libby's timing (embattled as the White House is right now), but this could be good. She'll testify and then Fitzgerald can start holding some feet to the fire. We hope.

So, let's see. We have massive devastation in the Gulf and subsequent scandal re: administration incompetence. Tom DeLay indicted, and his ethics scandal. And now, the Plame Game is circling back to make some headlines. One would hope that this might be enough to push aside any PR circus the Bushies can concoct... like the weak energy conservation plea, or the smooth confirmation of Stepford Justice John Roberts. Or, we'll all just got back to our driving SUVs, eating fast food, and watching the Apprentice.

Either way, welcome back Judy. I will probably be hitting nexis in order to reacquaint myself with why your Iraq alarmism pissed me off, but until then, cheers to you.

photo from NYT

No comments: