03 November 2005

Is that your flagella or are you just happy to see me?

I derive daily amusement from the headlines on Yahoo!. I desperately want to meet the brain trust behind what gets prominence in that little lavendar box. This morning I logged in to read The Boondocks, check the spam accumulation in the old email account, and Yahoo! News did not disappoint. Behold:



I know what you're thinking: Do they have a video of that? Hot! Before you reach for the keyboard-side hand lotion, though:

The fossils are tiny swarm cells, a stage in the development of the fungus myxomycetes, also known as slime molds.

The cells reproduce by "fusing," Ranjeet Kar of the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany in Lucknow reportedly told PTI. Once the cells fuse, long, threadlike appendages known as flagella, are lost, he said.

Finding the fossils in a fused position and with their flagella shed, is evidence that the two cells were having sex, Kar said.


Slime molds? Sigh. Yahoo!'s a terrible tease.

If you're a slime mold fetishist, get your jollies here, you naughty beast.

Only tangentally related: when I arrived at the office this morning there was an enormous Larry Flynt's Hustler Club billboard trailer, replete with cowboy-hat-wearing, scantily-clad young lady, parked across from our building. To get all the computer and gaming magazine folk all twitterpated? To make me barf up my coffee? Little of both? Or perhaps the driver of the billboard-trailing vehicle is a devotee of The Chicken Deli's coffee and breakfast offerings. Either way, it was startling.

No comments: