09 March 2006

Also, I'm a Viking.


It's spring, the air is warm, the trees are gilt with sunshine, and the Castle Grey Skull F.C. is getting ready to take the party outdoors. I have taken up the mantle of team organizer. This is as glamorous as it sounds, and involves mass emails and keeping a ledger and whatnot. I have various and sundry responsibilities, including making sure my teammates do not urinate in public.

Upon registering with Metrosoccer, I had to put my name down as "team captain," which weirds me out. I mean, I was the president of my drama club in high school... I'm pretty sure I'll be identified as a fraud. Fortunately, Marty (whose good work as keeper in the indoor season I've been raving about for weeks) will remain our athletic and spiritual leader. Which makes me the clerk (I know how do to that).

I briefly became very excited, because I thought I could begin referring to myself as the Team Beadle. I love that word. But, as it turns out, beadle doesn't mean what I thought it did (I thought it was another word for clerk... ). It's more religious than clerical. More like a deacon than a secretary. Oh well.

You still can't pee in public, Grey Skulls. I'm looking at you, Claire.

Oh, and welcome to the newbies.


image from philaprintshop.com

5 comments:

Cupcake said...

Pehaps you could get away with "Team Bartelby"?

J said...

I'm still gonna pee in public. Just a little.

claire said...

josh and i are going to pee in public and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

Claire, you couldn't pee in public even if you wanted to...

claire said...

it's a sad fact. but the general public doesn't know that. i could have fooled them. i could have faked it.