14 December 2005

Tag me, will you?


By Cupcake-mandate, I am to post the seven songs I am "into" lately. Lists can be fun diversions and instructive. They can also become cloying. A certain ersatz blogger with whom I have a morbid, horrified fascination is fond of soundtrack lists of the cloying variety (also, the blog's prose is too often in the second person - which drives me, you might imagine, completely shithouse). By way of a disclaimer: I shall attempt not to cloy, but delight, amuse, and recommend. I apologize in advance if I fall short. I figure, if you're here you already like me or you're very lost.

In no particular order, some songs that are getting heavy play on my 'pod (due to a playlist entitled "Awesome"):

1. Pinball Wizard - The Who. I got a cheap "Best Of" disc at Newbury Comics over Thanksgiving. This song is marvelous. As is A Quick One While He's Away.

2. Let's Go Get Stoned - Ray Charles. 'Nuff said.

3. Non, je ne regrette rien - Edith Piaf. I love the Little Sparrow. A lot.

4. Start Me Up - The Folksmen. From the A Mighty Wind sountrack. It's a jaunty folk cover of the Stones' song you may recall from Microsoft's Windows '95 ad campaign. Remember how it was disappointing when that didn't play upon clicking the Start button? Just me? Anyway, this cover is great. I walk around with a shit-eating grin on my face when it comes up.

5. Passenger Side - Wilco. Because he played it. And because it's written in closed couplets. Sadly, he's not going to marry me.

6. I'm Your Man - Leonard Cohen. Love his voice. And I love how lazy this song is (in spite of having bits in it about bondage and so forth). It's the effect of Quaaludes without having to take Quaaludes.

7. Loving Cup - The Rolling Stones. Easily one of my very favorite songs ever. Great piano, and what the French (and Tobs) call a "double understanding," as the loving cup can be interpreted as *cough cough* dirty, or a clever reference to Ancient Greek traditions.

For a bonus track: A cubicle neighbor's elaborate polysymphonic cell phone ringtone (song? epic frickin' Wagner-length crap?), which he never silences. Even when he goes to the loo or a meeting. But people still call him. Multiple times within ten minutes. In case he didn't hear it. Yeah. I'm not "in to" it so much as it makes me want to stick forks in my eyes. Or sigh in a passive agressive manner (Check! Though do you actually sigh passive-aggressively when the sighee is not there to hear it or his muthereffing phone? Discuss.).

Um. I tag Claire. 'Cause she's the only person I know who might consider participating.


2 comments:

Cupcake said...

Gotta love Edith Piaf. Also, this summer I saw Michael McKean, Harry Shearer and Christoper Guest perform at the Newport Blues Club (McKean was getting an award at the Newport Film Festival). They played the Folksman cover of "Start Me Up". Oh yeah.

claire said...

ok. i'll bite. but it's going to take me a few minutes, as i just got back from my first (of three) work holiday parties and i'm a bit drunk. yes, sheena. i really am. and the shiraz-cab was really good. i don't care what alx said. check back to phonesringing.blogspot.com to see my list...