01 December 2005

Gah!


Filed under "Fodder for Sheena's Nightmares," is the prehistoric giant water scorpion (thank you, Yahoo! News). Found in Scotland:
According to Whyte's analysis of the fossil, the creature was a six-legged water scorpion measuring 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. The length of its stride indicates that the animal was crawling extremely slowly. Evidence that it was dragging part of its body suggests that it was probably moving out of water, Whyte said.
Holy Mother of God. I am terrified of the little (-ish) regular scorpion pictured to accompany the Yahoo! article.

But then, I looked up the water scorpion on Wikipedia, only to discover it's sort of roachy-looking. Not just a scorpion that can swim. Five feet of this, while scary, isn't quite as scary as a giant land-bound stinging bastard scorpion.

Perhaps there's a colossal prehistoric water scorpion living in some Scottish loch (Bridget, I deputize you to investigate this).

If it tastes like lobster, sign me up.

Until then, I'll be haunted by the image of giant swimming bugs.

2 comments:

tobs said...

ahem, lobsters ARE giant swimming bugs.

Sheena said...

Yes, I'm aware (though it's a rare lobster that is allowed to live to be "giant" 'cept that one in the NE Aquarium, who is sort of big, but not hilariously big). They are TASTY swimming bugs. Whose asses I could kick if need be. A five foot-long water scorpion? I've got nothin'.