16 December 2005

Exthellent.



It has come to my attention that part of my visit home will be spent on a little family trip to Barcelona. Thith meanth I will begin thpeaking with a Cathtillian acthent now.

Needleth to thay, I hope to thee thome Velathqueth at the mutheum.

One of the many cool things about an expatriate family is the how the family vacations have changed. Growing up in NH, we stayed within driving distance and had some great times on Cape Cod, in Maine, and at Waterville Valley. Vacations were, however, fairly relaxed affairs. Beaches, hikes, cross-country skiing.

Now that our family vacations are in places like Paris and Rome (and now, Barthelona), and we're not little kids with short legs, my father has felt comfortable releasing his inner Power Tourist. No food, no sleep, just sights. Which is fine. You've got to get your money's worth (even my friends on their drunken world tour of Eastern Europe get up at the crack o' dawn to take pictures of themselves with WWI sculptures). How can you enjoy the dogshit slalom of Rome's streets if you're in bed at the hotel? You can't, that's how. The Vatican museum and Notre Dame aren't going to see themselves.

These days, Fam. T. Mohan death-marches itself accross Europe's most beautiful cities and it is great fun. We take this show on the road, people. We power through museums, parks, and famous streets. We shower on our knees in the hotel bathtubs. I nearly miss the train at Gare du Nord (oopsie). And Bridget photographs pigeons.

Bust out the cava, Barcelona. We're on our way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God help me...I wanted to go to an island and relax on the beach!! That's what I get for letting him do this on his own. Well, I can just hang at the Tapas bar drinking Sangria. I hear those Spanish men are pretty sweet?? Better than those germanic types?? Or I will have to strangle your father in his "Power" Tourist mode.

mom

Sheena said...

Aw, c'mon. You like it.

And we always have fun, don't we?Plus, power tourism nearly always guarantees sleep on the flight or train ride home. :-)

The question remains: what will become of the little italian dog while we're in Espana?

Anonymous said...

Little Carson will be at the "Tierheim". Today, I booked him for his "ferienplatz". Luckily, the owner also has a Chi so we can all sleep and travel without worry that the little fellow will not have a "crise".

Flushy McBucketpants said...

Barthelona is the cooletht thity ever! If I could actually speak Spanish, I would move there. I love Gaudi. It's not that you'll feel obligated to not sleep so you can cram everything in, but rather, you won't want to sleep because everything there is too effin' sweet--las Ramblas, la Sagrada Familia, Park Guell...

I believe senor Faber has the same opinion.

-Will

Anonymous said...

fucking peg-leg pigeon, everywhere I go!!

Anonymous said...

THIS PEN IS EXTHELLENT, I'LL JUST PUT THE EXTHELLENT LOVELY LID BACK ON. - Linda