08 December 2005

No, no. I do not mean "shmoopie."



Yesterday's discussion of Krampus made me do a little Google search for Schmutzli ("The Dirty One"), Samichlaus's alter-ego/companion. Trouble was, I Spoonerized the name in my head to be "Smutchli" ("The Kissy One," I guess), and it wasn't until I had a pint or two in me last night that I realized my mistake.

And so, before I work hard for the money today, I give you the Swiss version of Herr Krampus: Schmutzli. Every year in Zurich, there's a parade of Samichlauses and Schmutzlis on Samichlaus Day (Dec. 6). According to some random Swiss events calendar:

Samichlaus and his helper, Schmutzli (the Dirty One), live deep in the woods. On this day they visit the children in the woods or at home. Samichlaus wears a long red robe with a fur lined hood, carries a big book, a bag filled with sweets and oranges, and a bundle of switches. Schmutzli looks like a chimney sweep wearing a long dark robe. He carries a broom switch and a sack over his shoulder in which to deposit children who have not been their best over the past year.

As the children stand facing him, Samichlaus reads from the book, which lists the good and bad deeds of each child. Individually, he praises each child for the good things and expresses his hope that the child will correct those things which need improvement. After he has finished speaking, Samichlaus expects each child to sing, or recite a poem for him. Children are warned that if they are naughty, Schmutzli will take them into the woods in the sack.
So, Schmutzli's pretty scary. Not quite as scary looking as Krampus, but close. The being carried away in a sack thing is pretty terrifying.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the companions of Saint Nicholas. Apparently, our Anglicized version of Santa is pretty tame. There's no terrifying demonic companion to our jolly St. Nick. Also, our Santa doesn't have "blackamoor slaves." Germanic Santas rule. And I'm not just saying that so I won't get dragged away to the woods in a sack and beaten with a switch.

I imagine that if Claire were to be confronted with Schmutzli, she'd lick her thumb and rub it on his face. "You've got a little..."

7 comments:

J said...

And where did they get oranges in Switzerland?
I have got say that Germanic folklore once again prooves to be both awesome and terrorfying. They take the kids to the woods and beat them! No wonder the trains run on time.

tobs said...

do you mean schmoopie?

or maybe you mean baby bluey?

Anonymous said...

On Saturday, Dad had the pleasure of seeing Samichlaus and Schmutzli, a la Harley Davidson, on Lowenstrasee behind Globus. They had assembled quite a crowd. And they revved their engines,taking of....and to all a "Ciao Mittenand"! Only in Switzerland.

Mom

Anonymous said...

oops...taking off...getting late over here.

And I have not seen the Marli Tram yet. But I have been to the Christmas market and had some gluhwein. Well I am frustrated that I can't find the umlaut when I am typing on your blog...I usually use the "insert symbol".

Zuerich Awaits You...(e inserted cuz no umlaut...in proper deutsch fashion...Goethe Inst. would be proud)

mom

Sheena said...

Yes, Tobs. I suppose I do mean Schmoopie. Baby Bluey was the name of the couch Sophomore year that I hauled for you guys that then got stuck in the common room door. Remember college?

And, in response to Mom, I can hardly wait for Zuerich.

Cupcake said...

Do you know how happy I am that in lieu of umlauts you all are spelling out "ue"? Here's how happy I am: there is a puddle under my chair.

Also, I studied at the Goethe Institute in Berlin for a month when I was 17!!!

Sheena said...

So, you would pass out if we turned the conversation to Muenchen, I'd imagine...

Auf Wiedersehen Mittenand.