24 April 2006

Greyskull Loses, Keeps Streak Alive*


It was another tough loss for us on a rather sodden pitch yesterday. We played the amusingly-named FC Hammer, who are all very nice (a few familiar faces from our indoor league). Lessons learned: playing without subs is hard, I am not a fast runner, I am not good at throw-ins. Still do love to play the soccer, though, in spite of my athletic shortcomings.

In happier sports news, the Red Sox won yesterday, thus ending the Toronto trip with a scrap of dignity. Also, Jonathan Papelbon now has a "Wild Thing" haircut.

How 'bout that rain, folks? Who do I have to sleep with to get some decent drainage in my public transportatation system? Seriously. All of those grates in the subway are just for show. They don't actually lead anywhere. I would just like to know why all stairwells have been made concave? Because a serious logjam of people trying to get out of the pissing subway at 9am is fun? We live in the Northeast. There is rain here. A little drizzle causes giant fetid puddles in the areas with highest foot-traffic in the subway. It doesn't make any sense. Who designed this?







*with a respectful tip of the cap to Josh, for telling me about an old Philly headline

7 comments:

claire said...

not to be contrary, but i think the actual headline was "phillies lose, keep nose dive alive"

see, with the rhyming.

Sheena said...

I was aware. We're not really in a nose-dive, as that would imply having had a high point from which to fall (or dive).

Streak seemed more fitting.

But thanks for keeping me honest. I like rhyme.

claire said...

well, we DID finish our indoor season in second place. that's pretty good.

rhyme is good.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

I think we totally could take those guys. We just need a full roster. Our second half was a marked improvement over our first. I look forward to playing again on Sunday, god willing, in sunshine.

J said...

well I liked it and 'cough' the headline was "Phils lose close one to keep nose dive alive."

But I think it's good how you took it made it your own. Besides 8-1 tis not a close one and we're not in nose dive. We are luring our foes into a false sense of security and then come play offs, wop, pow! Goals galore!!! Yaaaar!

Flushy McBucketpants said...

I don't think we have playoffs. And did we really lose 8-1? It didn't seem that bad...

... also, in that second game we played, we may have met a keeper who would be willing to be a ringer for us. Nice guy. Seems like he might know a thing or two about the game as well.

Sheena said...

Yeah, I think the misinformation about playoffs came from me (sorry Josh). They were going to have two coed leagues, one on the UWS and one in Queens, and then we'd have playoffs. But the Queens league never materialized, so I don't think it's going to happen any more.

We'll win one eventually. And it'll be great.