17 April 2006

April Morning, observed.


Happy Patriots' Day (or Patriot's Day, depending on how many patriots you think participated in the Battle of Lexington and Concord).

If I lived in Boston (or Maine, or Wisconsin, I guess), I'd be in my pajamas watching the Red Sox game. But, I am at work in New York.

For those of you who did not grow up within a stone's throw of the cradle of the Union, Patriots' Day is observed the Monday before April 19th, commemorating that day and the start of the Revolutionary War. As a junior in high school, I trekked down to Lexington around 4am with my history class to watch the reenactments. Then, we were loosed upon Boston to "watch the marathon" (or "wander Newbury Street"... By happenstance, I came out onto Boylston just as the leaders were crossing the finish line. It was pretty cool).

Click the picture to go to a short essay on the Battles of Lexington and Concord by Ross M. of Dr. Prudhomme's 5th grade class at Virginia Murray Elementary School. I believe that he also did the illustration.

Also, for your reading pleasure, a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled;
Here once the embattled farmers stood;
And fired the shot heard round the world.
The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps,
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream that seaward creeps.
On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We place with joy a votive stone,
That memory may their deeds redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.
O Thou who made those heroes dare
To die, and leave their children free, --
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raised to them and Thee.

Try not to confuse Patriots' Day, with President Bush's proclaimed name for the 9/11 anniversary, Patriot Day. Perhaps he was unaware of the existing holiday? Or, does he somehow equate the horror of an unexpected terrorist attack on innocents as the trials and triumphs of patriots? I am suddenly very tired. Though, I'm pleased that Mr. Bush didn't attempt apostrophe usage in his remembrance-day-naming. That could have been disastrous. Hey, we (not me, or anyone I know, mind, but someone... or millions of someones whom I'd like to punch in the nose) may let the man keep his finger on The Button, but at least he's abstaining from punctuation. Small blessings, people.

1 comment:

J said...

I'll cradle of the union you!