21 February 2006

whoawhoawhoa! WHOA!

Long weekends are great. You face the proverbial music for the rest of the week, it seems, but I do so love sleeping in on a Monday. Happy Presidents' Day Sale Week, everyone. Enjoy reflecting on presidents (of the non-crappy variety) and buying that new Toyota!

Anyway, as I mentioned, it's great to have a free day for no reason. And today was especially great, as we had amazing weather. It was cold, but sunny and pretty dry.

Claire and I kicked the soccer ball around in Prospect Park with Seth and Ian. I managed to fall on my ass both en route to the park and then while taking a shot on muddy ground in front of some strangers.

It was good to get out and run around a bit, though, as much of the weekend had involved eating, sleeping, drinking, and watching Footballers' Wives (sooo good).

After wearing ourselves out at the Park, we trotted on home to watch some women's curling. I have to say, I LOVE curling. It's riveting. The fevered sweeping, the yelling. The neat shoes. We found ourselves commenting animatedly to eachother: "What a great shot!" We watched the US team get trounced by the Brits (which was sad), and then we caught one heck of a nailbiter between Canada and Denmark. I am weirdly excited for the finals this week. I'm rooting for the Swiss women, and I'm sort of rooting for the Swiss men as well, even though our own Minnesotans are in it. This is mostly because I have a crush on Ralph Stoeckli, the "skip" of the Swiss men's team.

Isn't he cute and Swiss? I believe he's from St. Gallen. I am not overly fond of St. Galler wurst, but I quite enjoy Herr Stoeckli. Well done, St. Gallen! Go here for a wonderful photo of the Swiss team surrounded by large cowbells.

I know what you're thinking. Why on earth would people watch American Idol over this?

image borrowed from curling.ch

2 comments:

claire said...

ok. no one understands how awesome and intense the curling really is.

J said...

I understand how awesome and intense the Johnson sisters of the U.S. curling team are. THIS AWESOME <------------------------------------->