14 February 2006

Head. Over. Heels.

I am in love.

Convenient that I should fall in love on Valentine's Day, no?

Ian introduced me to Ask Oxford, a free resource from those sexy minxes who bring us the OED (the OED, you may remember, is a paid dictionary online, which makes me sad). The "Ask the Experts" section is especially fantastic.

Want to know what sealed the deal?
"Octopus is not a simple Latin word of the second declension, but a Latinized form of the Greek word oktopous, and its 'correct' plural would logically be octopodes."
Faced with that, what's a girl to do?

You might say I'm feeling pretty maritorious.

Or you might say I should give up and get another cat.

3 comments:

J said...

Are you saying you are feeling like a husband? I'm confused.

Sheena said...

No, that I have "great or excessive fondness" for my husband. namely, askoxford.com. Or, perhaps more generally, the OED.

cc said...

have you read the professor and the madman? if not, it's the obvious next step in any love affair involving the OED.