05 June 2006

Win, lose, and draw.

So, I'm going to futz around with the order of the "36-Hour Bender: Boy Are We Stupid (or Brilliant?)" documentation, mostly because I'm sure everyone's aching for a Castle Grey Skull FC update, since we had a week off for the holiday.

Yesterday was our last game with Metrosoccer's Spring Coed 8-a-side league. We were scheduled to play Bohemians, a very nice bunch of folks against whom we very much enjoy playing because they do not pee on our shoes (bring in ringers to kick our asses) and tell us it's raining (that said anonymous ringers were on their team the whole time), which we always appreciate.

Anyway, we were all quite keyed up for this last match. After the previous match ending in a draw, we were hopeful. And what better way to conclude the season than play the team we like the most?

The day got off to a rocky start, however, when I realized (on the first leg of the subway journey) that I had forgotten the team's keepers gloves. I am a big, forgetful jerk. Josh comforted me anyway.



I shook it off (sorta) and we got to the field nice and early for a little bit of creative dancing. Note Claire's handsome yellow socks (borrowed from my stash from Hayley):





We were warmed up and ready to go. But where were the Bohemians? Apparently, they got sidetracked listening to the String Cheese Incident whilst smoking a strawberry-flavored hookah, because only two of them showed. So, we divided the Grey Skull squad, threw the Bohemian stragglers into the mix, and Vlad kindly reffed the scrimmage.

Here's Josh, closely followed by Kevin, who's quite stellar in defense.



Chris is apparently walking a tightrope in the box while Robbie looks on.


Claire goes ass over teakettle... I'm not sure why, as there's no one really around her.... Claire?


Josh chases down an errant ball.


Seth, the sleevéd keeper executes a mighty drop-kick.


Here's a great shot of Claire doing a throw-in.


Josh, about to dodge bullets Matrix-style.


This looks as if Hamish and I are holding hands and chasing the ball together, but really we are locked in a battle for possession. Unsurprisingly, I lost.


I collapse for a rest behind Seth "Two-Tone" Pomerantz while Alan, one of the Bohemians mans the net.


A much better view of Seth's socks, and a nice shot of he and Claire running.


This is by far the most amusing photo of me on the pitch. Sassy backward glance and everything. I look as though I have a clue, right? I think this was the point in the game that found me up front, as an only slightly feckless striker. I managed to trap and shoot one of those inch-perfect patented Mike crosses for a goal. It was pretty sweet. Slightly sweeter was Carrie (then the keeper for the sleeveless team) screaming "Get out of my house!!!" afterwards.


Here's the crew, high-fiving after our victory against ourselves. Goooo Grey Skull!




A nice Grey Skull-orange smile.



Here's a [partial] team photo.

Many, many thanks to our distinguished guest, Lara, for taking some lovely pictures for posterity and bringing some truly delicious orange slices.

Mark up your summer calendars, footie fans. There will be a Grey Skull squad tearing up the turf over in Chelsea with NY Coed. Even Vlad's excited. I had the following exchange with him three weeks ago:

Me: Hey Vlad, Are you going to ref for NY Coed on Fridays this summer?
Vlad: Yes.
Me: Great! We're going to have a team in the Championship league. So, we'll see you then!
Vlad: Oh.
Me: You couldn't get rid of us if you tried!
Vlad: Ok.

He loves us. It's just hard for him to show it.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

J said...

I like that Seth wore two different colored socks, I totally forgot about that.

Lara took some fine pictures. You can tell she's Welsh 'cause of her eye for soccer.

claire said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
claire said...

i agree that the pictures are stellar. i believe i went ass over teakettle because i tripped over kevin (who is in the picture just behind hamish so you can't see that he's really there). and really, i did a super cool rolling move because i didn't want to strip the skin off my elbows on the turf.

it worked too.

after i got up, kevin said, "hey, i'm not in here to hurt people". it was cute. i assured him that i tripped myself.