23 June 2006

Hopp Schwiiz!


This is me wearing my Switzerland football t-shirt. I already wore it this week and it's in the laundry, so we're going to have to imagine I'm offering the Mohan adopted country my sartorial support.

The Swiss play against South Korea today and need to win or draw to go through to the round of 16.

I humbly request that this tiny Scandinavian nation make it happen. I need this one.

A few of the things I enjoy about the Swiss team: they have a set of twins–Philipp and David Degen–on the squad; the team chef travels with a hearty supply of Swiss chocolate; the team's diversity is representative of Switzerland itself (and by diversity, I mean German, French, and Italian Swiss...), leading me to wonder what language they speak on the field.

One thing they ought to keep in mind today is yellow cards. They racked up a lot of them in the match against Togo and I'd rather they didn't enter the knockout phase sans Philipp.

2 comments:

J said...

Yeah, I have often wondered what langauge they speak to each other.

Sheena said...

Though I believe all Swiss speak a smattering of each of the official languages (except maybe Romansh... as only 1 Kanton speaks that), the one language they all have in common is probably English. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they lapse between a combination of French, German, English, and Italian.

I once tried to speak French to a shopgirl in Zürich, and she asked me, in German, if I spoke English.