11 June 2006

Wilkommen zum Fussball indeed.


Well, I suppose it's been percolating for a while, but I've definitely got the World Cup fever. And how. Saturday morning found me bouncing out of bed at the ungodly hour of 7:45 to watch England v. Paraguay at Hamish's (many thanks again, Hamish. Please accept this token of my gratitude). Watched the mighty exciting Sweden-Trinidad and Tobago match while cleaning the apartment. This morning, while I wasn't quite as ambitious, I did stumble from bed to couch for the second half of the Serbia-Montenegro v. Netherlands match. Didn't catch the goal, but saw some a-mazing attempts and incredible run down the field by Arjen Robben.

...Just now saw the beautiful goal by young Mr. Bravo. Insipid commentary: "Bravo Bravo! Bravo indeed!" I'm going to have to disagree with Tobs on this one... I'm pulling for Mexico, rivals or not. I mean, don't we want them to advance, so that if we advance we'll meet them in the knockout round? Right?

Oh. There's another one. Iran is starting to implode a bit. Yikes.

It's going to be extremely difficult to do anything for the next month. There's at least one match I want to see each day this week, and something tells me that 2 hour lunches at 3pm aren't going to help me get shit done.

My favorite bit of commentary thus far in this Mexico-Iran match: "They call him 'The Carpet,' because he glides around defenders like a Persian carpet from ancient times."

Also he was woven into being by small children chained to looms.

1 comment:

tobs said...

we don't want them to advance. not that the u.s. is likely to advance anyway, but we wouldn't possibly play them in knockout rounds anyway, unless both teams made the final.
fuck mexico. with the iran game behind them, there is no excuse to pull for either team. fuck mexico right up their rio grande.