23 May 2006

Sock-a Bonita.

Let it be writ here that my sister Hayley is some kind of genius. Not because she took the AP German exam or anything, but because she gave me an amazing pair of socks for Christmas. Not just any socks, but soccer socks of the brightly-colored and be-stirruped variety.

When I first busted them out during our indoor season, I was nervous. It's an extra step in dressing oneself for a game, and perhaps too much of a footwear commitment. But I never should have doubted my sister the Sock Genius. Not only are they snug and hold my shinguards in place, but they do not have feet which means you don't have to wash them every time you wear them (Seriously. Don't look at me like that). They are also a sartorial triumph, which tends to be the most common triumph I personally experience on the pitch (except that time indoors when I bizarrely scored a goal).

My adoration for my bright blue Swiss stirrup socks has only deepened since Christmas. As you good people have witnessed, I am obsessed. But who can blame me? They're not as much of a struggle to put on as Hamish's super-tight American football socks, but they don't slide down. They also come up well above the knee, unlike the child's-size Modell's socks that I now use only in sock emergencies. I am particular about things (I know, I hide it well), and when I find something I like, well, heaven help us all if it goes missing.

Disaster struck this Sunday when I washed my gear after our draw with the Bohemians (huzzah! playoff 6/4!). Everything was clammy and sprinkled with turf dust, you see, and I decided I didn't want to wait for a proper laundry day. This is when laundry in the building is handy. But, when I went to collect my stuff from the dryer that night—quel horreur!—I only found one sock! I had what we Mohans call a "wicked crise." It simply won't do to go into the summer season with only my sub-par Modell's emergency socks.

A cursory examination of sporting goods merchants online was not encouraging. They seemed to want me to get stirrups a la my softball team in the late 1980s. I sent Hayley a panicked email. Could she track down another pair (or three)? Would she mind bringing some back for me to collect at a later date?

Today, salvation was waiting for me in my box at the office. Three (3) pairs of stirrup socks from Hayley for my birthday (in anticipation of this wicked crise, Hayley? Does your genius extend to seeing the future?). Thank heavens for camera phones:


Aren't they lovely?

Don't worry, though. I'm not giving up on the blue pair. I'll soon be posting an irate (or maybe pleading) note in the laundry room. There's no way the person who absconded with my poor sock can possibly appreciate it, lack of mate notwithstanding.

7 comments:

claire said...

if i'm not mistaken, the far right pair will go nicely with the orange Castle Greyskull t-shirt. well done, hayley. well done indeed.

Sheena said...

the photo's a little washed out... they're actually a bright red. Which could work... though it could also clash.

Either way, I'm going to need to wear a pair on my arms. And hang the third pair from my ears.

J said...

It should be noted that Hamish's backup socks are for football American, which is why they are so insanely tight and hard to put on.

I don't actually get this as American football players wear all sorts of protective gear as well.

Mozel tov on the sock bounty. what odd and amazing timing.

Anonymous said...

rastasocks! you should wear them all at once, turning the top and second-from-the-top pairs down incrementally to expose the sock beneath.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

You don't really need to wash regular (that is, whole and not missing the part clothing the foot) soccer socks. After running around in them for five minutes, you won't even notice that they're still damp with sweat from the last time you wore them. Granted, the smell isn't great, but if you're outdoors, that becomes less of an issue.

Sheena said...

Well, we appear to have very different ideas about "need" for washing.My bedroom is small, you see, so the less soccer gear I have "marinating" in the gym bag, the more pleasant my time at home is.

Granted, I'm on the more compulsive end of the laundry spectrum. Also, socks start to lose their shape if they go unwashed for long stretches.

Anonymous said...

fyi: The clerk at Zurich "Fizzen" asked Hayley if she was a Brazil football fan.

glad you like them!

mom