09 May 2006

Agh!

Too. Many. Hyphens.

Make it stop!

Ok, Mrs. Good, I'm sure you make a lovely meatloaf and congratulations on all the best-selling books.

Your success, however, does not give you license to go flinging defenseless hyphens hither and yon.

I concede that they work in the subtitle. You may keep those. And while I suppose the ones in the title are not technically wrong, there are just too many in one title.

If you're going for an unfussy, homey, Mennonite aesthetic, why not just call it Fix It and Enjoy It: All-Purpose, Welcome-Home Recipes. Forget the "Cookbook" bit. That's implied by the "Recipes," you see.

I don't have the energy to go into other, more frightening offenses of yours, Mrs. Good.

I am here to help. Give me a shout and I can help you clear the whole mess up when you're writing a title for your next effort.

If you promise not to use the hyphen lightly ever again, perhaps I'll share the Secret* Mohan Family Blueberry Cake recipe with you. You won't regret it.

___________________
*It's probably not actually a secret.

4 comments:

claire said...

hyphen is totally the new apostrophe

Cupcake said...

It is amazing that you managed to refrain from laying into "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly." I cried a little when I saw that title.

J said...

I love hyphens! But even I can tell this title is all wrong and that is saying something.

I'm looking forward to when exclamation points becomes the new hyphens.

"It will! be some!thing like this!!!!"

Sheena said...

Yeah, I found "Fix-it and Forget-it Lightly" to be too much of a task for me at that particular time.

My palms began to sweat, my eyes glazed over, and there was a ringing in my ears. I thought it best to tackle after a stiff drink at a future time TBD.

Rest assured, I also have opinions on adverbs.

Hi Josh!!!!!