27 August 2006

Toby, please don't kill yourself.

This weekend, while attempting to pack for The Move, I stumbled across a still-packed box from the last move (a year ago), which contained my photo albums from "The First 18 Years of Sheena" and "Sheena, the College Years." This was a delightful surprise, because for some reason, I thought these albums were somewhere between Switzerland and New Hampshire (via Antwerp).

Naturally, as I have but a week to pack up my few worldly goods (mostly books), I abandoned the packing enterprise entirely and spent the rest of the afternoon scanning selections from the albums. I look at is as important archival work. We need these things to be digitized, so that we may humiliate each other with the drop of an email. Join me for a trip down memory lane.

This is the photo that started it all. It's documentation of the fairly frequent toasting that happened on our hall. Do note Toby's trucker hat. Also, the arm in the foreground belongs to Seth. I have a picture. Of Seth. Before I remember having ever met him. This was very strange for me, as I tend to remember things like this. No matter. The gent in the red shirt is Gilhouse (before he was Gilhouse), and the yelling fellow in yellow is Josh.

Here is Young Sheena, hard at work studying Political Theory or French or some such. Look how fresh-faced and energetic she is!



Claire and I lived together in a giant double, Gilhouse lived next door (and gamely kept us in hours of Ninetendo 64 and Simpsons episodes on VHS) and Josh lived down the hall. Toby sprung fully formed from the head of Zeus. He was wearing this coat:

The boys are standing in front of my desk. Important to note (aside from the sexy pose being struck by the gentlemen) is the college decoupage decor (yeah, that's a photo of Kid Rock from Rolling Stone on my wall. I very much do not want to discuss it.)


Here is a Young Joshua, bringing me a gift of flowers. He found them in the trash, and proceeded to cavort around the room, spraying dead petals all over my carpet. He's such a thoughtful fellow.



This was taken at the end of freshman year. Me 'n' Josh. Awwwww...



Ok, so the chronology is all off. Here's a picture of Josh and Claire (when she was a smoker... gross!) dancing.


Susannah, Claire, me and Brooke before a semi-formal party of some kind. I think it was the one in which I had an entire beer poured down my back by some dude from my English class.



This is me. On Claire's bed with her teddy bear, Gunther. I am wearing overalls. That's all I've got.


Toby and I, before the primary colors parade, apparently. I used to have very short hair.



Sophomore year. One of the many physical assaults I endured from Claire. I'm pretty sure I was trying to distract her from a surprise party (Claire? want to confirm this?), so I took a beating for the team.



Susannah, on an especially idyllic Founder's Day (the annual Vassar bacchanal).


Claire pinched Jonathan's hand in the chains of the swing shortly before this picture was taken. What a jerk.



Charlie's Angels for Sophomore year Halloween. Three other girls dressed up as the "new" Charlie's Angels. We were way cooler.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sheena! Now there's a trip down memory lane! And, I'm going to make us all feel even older by saying WE ALL LOOK SO YOUNG!

Looking forward to the next installments (and hoping you don't have any truly embarassing photos of me)

ciao,
Susie

Anonymous said...

that is really, really cute.
also: stop making me feel old!

J said...

First of all: you and claire look exactly the same, except for the shorter/longer hair thing.

HOLY FUCKING JESUS, Toby and I really do look so young. Also, his shirt says "My Tool is Ideal." Ha, ha, har.

Sigh.

I remember when he wore that to Homo Hop and sometime after Toby's peeing on a potted plant a gentleman inquired whether his tool was indeed "ideal." I believe Toby responded with more public urination.

claire said...

yes. yes. that was a terrifying trip down memory lane.

sheena, the physical assault DID happen before surprise party - one which i knew was coming - so i took even more pleasure in trying to disrupt plans and making you dance like a monkey.

Sheena said...

Josh, you are mistaken. We ALL look crazy young.

I think public urination is probably the best response to anything said at HomoHop.

And yes, I danced like a monkey. Sigh.