06 September 2006

We went to a house, an unfinished house, in the coun-tray.

Phase One of my move to New Hampshire was this past weekend. I was fortunate enough to woo some members of the gang into making the long drive through the interminable state of Connecticut to the family home for a weekend of camping in the front pasture, roasting marshmallows, and sleeping all together in an enormous tent while bears and pig-dogs rustled around for leftover s'mores outside.

We did a lot of eating and we put my mother's Jura coffeemaker through its paces. The whole weekend is really something of a tweaky, caffeinated blur. I'm sure the others will post more (and better) photos when they're not busy with "schoolwork." I only have a few photopictures, as I spent a lot of time christening my dad's restaurant-grade gas range and convection oven (*swoon*).

Here are some pictures from dinner on Saturday. We had all local vegetables (sweet corn, wax beans, zucchini, new potatoes, and tomatoes) to accompany some gorgeous roasted chickens (cooked side by side in the remarkable convection oven). It was delicious.

Here are Seth and Claire, about to tuck in to the sumptuous meal.


Here are Josh and Erin, hiding in a smoke cloud.


Here is my younger sister Hayley. Isn't she puurrrty?



Mick creeps up on Chris, who is napping at the table.


Here Claire is weilding the Electric Fly-Swatting Tennis Racquet of Death. Despite the phrase "Not a toy" printed on the handle, almost everyone took a turn sticking their fingers through the plastic webbing.


Here's Josh and his newest, littlest friend.


Seth playing with the dogs.


Gilhouse and his poker winnings.



We had excellent weather on Monday, so we went out for a tramp through the woods. We found some salamanders and the dogs went wading in every gross muddy puddle they could find.

Here are Chris, Claire, and Seth, off to see the wizard. Claire was hoping the wizard could make her taller.


Here is Gil helping the dogs find some gross mud puddles.



New Hampshire is awfully pretty. Who wants to move there with me? Anyone?

4 comments:

claire said...

oh man oh man. that was an awesome weekend.

and the tennis raquet of death hurt a little more every time i stuck my finger in the webbing. weird.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sheena for the most wonderful weekend!

But more importantly...

Will the tennis raquet of death work on my roaches?

J said...

No, I don't believe it will work on your roaches, but I think an rpg would.

Sheena, I'll move to New Hampshire! My dad has also offered to be a farm hand at your farm, though he said all he will do is whittle things and have straw in his mouth. You need someone to do that right?

My professors keep talking about how many people get killed Global Affairs, cool!

Sheena said...

We are definitely looking to hire people to whittle things with a straw in their mouths. I ought to be able to pay you in sticks of gum....

I don't think that the Tennis Racquet of Death is any match for a NYC cockroach. Those little bastards could survive anything.