10 August 2006

Also: "Christ, what an asshole."


Found this via Gawker and threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Peter McBride can take off his polo shirt and maintain his preppy image. McBride, 22, has a Polo pony tattooed on his chest. The idea came to him as he was waiting in line behind a man at a D.C. tattoo parlor: "I noticed his polo shirt and made my decision."
Before I read the article, I thought perhaps that this young man works or models for (which doesn't make it better, just slightly understandable. a wee bit.) Polo. No, he's just a douche, is all.

While the piece sorta manufactures a trend wherein people are getting logo tattoos, the fact that anyone does it is pretty disturbing. I mean, really? Who's going to have sex with this man with that thing on his chest? He has the logo of a thing to be purchased and worn with the collar popped.

I mean, sure. Plenty of people get idiot tattoos (a young man with whom I went to high school made up a nickname for himself, then had it tattooed on his bicep in Gothic lettering. He later had the Superman logo tattooed on his other bicep.). But he can look like a douchebag for a fraction of the money and none of the pain.

Since I read Until I Find You, and became the only of-age member of my immediate family to remain un-inked, I've been pondering what I'd put on myself indelibly. A line drawing of James Joyce in profile? Angel wings on my shoulder blades? Calvin peeing on the face of Derek Jeter? Some kind of "tramp stamp?" Or just some kanji whose meaning I don't know?

In all honesty, I've been thinking about a drawing of the Brooklyn Bridge.

One of the benefits of summer is the tattoo-watching. Seen any good (or terrible) ones lately? I swear, you can't swing a dead leprechaun in this city without hitting a tattoo of Celtic knotting.

17 comments:

claire said...

my favorite sighting this summer was on a guy with many tatoos. the one that caught my eye was on his calf.

it was a smoke stack with smoke rising out of it and above it said (i shit you not, i really saw this), "work will set you free".

tobs said...

i like to fantasize about tattoos i would get, although i'm presently of the view that these days, one stands out more without a tattoo than with one. nevertheless, i like to think about how i would take in my first-edition Roger Tory Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of North America and have an exact image, complete with arrows to field markings and full latin name, tattooed on my shoulder. but then, it would be too hard to decide what bird to get.

a few months ago, i saw a girl down here who had a tattoo of a pteradactyl (or pteranadon or other flying dinosaur) skeleton on her chest, with the body of it between her... um... you know, and the wings extending nearly to her shoulders. i could see this because she was wearing a tank top. i could pretty much just see the head and the wings. it was awesomely amazing.

tobs said...

um... claire? was this fellow wearing a uniform of any kind? was he burning any books? fighting indiana jones?

Sheena said...

Yeah.... was his head shaved?

Toby- that is a fantastic idea for a tattoo. Do it. Scan and post the pictures... we'll help you decide.

Sheena said...

Also... Pteradactyl skeletons? Is that what boys want?

J said...

It can be...

Anonymous said...

toby you realize you'd have to go into a tattoo parlor, and then speak with a tattoo artist. i can't even deal with a hairdresser , so i'd imagine the time i'd have with that.
I'm pretty set on getting a trompe l'oeil type tattoo of the bones and tendons on my elbow in the style of 18th century medical texts , i think it would be neat, but then there'd be the issue of having to go into the tattoo place.

sheena: to be fair everybody wants pterodactyl skeletons

tobs said...

seth, don't call it a "hairdresser" dude. a barber will do just fine.

and yes, sheena, that is exactly what i want. although the chest is a bit much... cool in principle but, um, a bit much. really any kind of dinosaur skeleton would be amazing.

and yes, seth, i know i'd have to talk to somebody, which i wouldn't like. i'd also have to have a fucking picture on my arm for the rest of my goddamn life.

J said...

I'm not generally a fan of when people have a lacross stick or tennis racket tattoo. I think this is a reaction to the preppy thing though, as a tattoo of say a baseball or a football would seem cool.

Toby, you should get a tattoo of Ol' Muddy riding the back of a winged shark fighting a krakon or the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe fighting the Dallas Krakons.

Sheena said...

You two jackasses could go together and coach each other through it. Hold hands while it's happening. Then each get a ripped half of a heart with the other's name written in it.

So if I get a dinosaur tattoo and wear a bike hat, I'm gonna score?

Anonymous said...

I still think Carrie Cheek's idea from the Little Prince (the Drawing #1.. the elephant inside the snake) is an amazing idea.

Also, I met a girl today who has a coyote tattoo that kicks my coyote tattoo's ass. I hate to admit it, but hers is about the side of a dinner plate.

Everyone here is tatted up, so I'll keep an eye out.

Sheena said...

Do please. Don't you worry, your coyote tattoo could kick another coyote tattoo's ass any day of the week.

I didn't know about Carrie Cheek's idea, but I wholeheartedly approve.

Claire and I saw a girl with the little prince himself tattooed on her shoulder. That was pretty cool.

Any of the drawings from that book, actually, would do quite nicely.

J said...

Erin, your coyote tattoo is unassailable. It's so powerful it beats up werewolf tattoos and stuff.


I kind of like the idea of Seth getting a tattoo of John LeClair on his back, but only if LeClair retires as a Flyer. Or Desjardins. Maybe that'd be better and he did just retire.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I found it. After surveying anarchists, activists, vegans, treehuggers, hippies, and even a few ex-cons, I've selected the winning tattoo. This tattto spans the length of the massive calf of a very large man and depicts in a detailed line drawing, poised, weapons brandished, ready to defend justice, all four of the teenage mutant ninja turtles. (I think tomorrow I will work up the corage to take a picture.)

Anonymous said...

i'm going to get a tatoo of john leclair on my back and on his back will be a tattoo of me with eric dejardin on my meta back.


also they all will be impaling scott stevens

Anonymous said...

i know i missed the boat, but if i may:
http://www.teenageunicorn.com/
that image, please.

Sheena said...

Leah, yes. That one deserves the entire back.

Erin, report back with a photo.

Seth and Josh, I don't know who those people are, but I am amused by the tattoo-within-a-tattoo idea.

As an addendum, I saw a guy with a bandaid tattoo on his elbow, which I found funny. He also had a broken heart with a scroll around it... but no name. Is he waiting for the right lady (or gentleman) to deserve the honor?

Also, while helping Seth pick out glasses (we went for the cat's eyes with rhinestones), I saw a dude wandering around the Lenscrafters with a yin-yang tattoo on his leg. He was also wearing a trucker hat and pushing a stroller. He was quite the fella.