12 September 2006

Drive courteously. It's the New Hampshire way?

Well, I made it.

I now officially reside in New Hampshire. Today, our house was approved for occupancy, which is handy, and the furnace man is currently hooking up our heat (thank GAWD). He doesn't have the grates to put over the ducts, though, so we won't have anything to prevent Gus from climbing into said ducts and cooking himself until tomorrow, which is not handy.

We arrived after a rather hellacious journey from New York. His Gus-ness did not take to being crated behind the passenger seat. After spending the first ten minutes of the ride howling piteously he escaped from the top-load door of the carrier and proceeded to run around the car, wailing. We were in the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, and I tried not to swerve into the barriers on either side while trying to keep the panicked feline from crawling a) under the pedals, b) onto the dashboard, or c) up the side of my face. I managed to soothe him enough in my lap, and though he was panting (mouth open, tongue lolling... a very scary face indeed) and cat hair was flying all around the interior of the car, we were not dead from a horrific wreck. Every time I got him calm, he'd freak out again and attempt escape through a cracked window or pace around the back.

Oh, also he scraped his belly in the escape, so he bled on my jeans.

After getting out of the city (I preferred my chances of chasing him down in a rest area rather than on a city street), I pulled over and resecured Gus in the carrier (I used his discarded collar to tied down the lid... that'll teach him). He continued with the yeowling for some time, but eventually fixed me with a baleful stare and settled into a stupor.

The kicker, of course, is that within an hour of arriving in his new environs, Gus climbed into a heating duct and went for a little jaunt and had to be coaxed out, sooty-pawed, with treats.

What would such a trip be without a little adventure?

Here's the man himself, peering out from the safety of my comforter. He's already succeeded in scaring the hell out of the Chihuahua. Now, if I could just convince him to eat or drink something.



I'll post more pictures soon (I have some from the weekend's activities). I'm a bit overwhelmed with new-job and new-house stuff.

4 comments:

claire said...

well i'm glad the house has been approved for occupancy and there's not a gas leak that will kill you all - especially since you all have been living in the house for a while...

also, with your gus escape and my mattie-getting-stuck-between-my-bed-and-the -wall, we've got our crazy cat stories covered.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

poor mr. gussypants. surely he knew what was coming. at least he'll have some boxes to play in from the move...

J said...

I miss you.

gilhouse said...

don't be scared when you find me living in your barn, surrounded by a chemistry set and mcflurry cups. just a warning.