03 November 2006

mm mmm good.

On my days off, I try to do a bit of cooking. A stew, some cookies... something to exercise the stove and my culinary mind. I'm thinking about imposing a sort of Iron Chef challenge upon myself (a couple of ingredients and away I go) one of these days, to start getting a little creative. Then perhaps I'll post the results here...

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my latest kitchen efforts.


One of the many benefits of a giant stove, is the ability to roast all of your Anaheim chiles at the same time. These little beauties later went into a beef stew.
















Here's a Guinness Gingerbread, set to cool on the empty beer bottle. I've had a request for the recipe, and I wish I could take credit, but it's from epicurious.com. I tend to use the bundt pan,
because it's pretty, but a loaf of it would be easier to transport to parties or potlucks. I also double the amount of cardamom (duh). Also, since the recipe only calls for a cup of stout, you get to drink the rest of the bottle (a nice perk).















Stay tuned... I've been cooking up a storm for an upcoming house party, so I'll be posting pics of those things eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the ginger cake recipe. I made one last week and took it to a potluck on Friday, where it was very well received -- enough that I sent the recipe link to the hostess, who asked for another piece before I packed up what was left to take back home.

Dean

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheena,

I got an email from a pen pal (real postal mail as well as email) in Houston who found the Guiness gingerbread recipe from my blog. Here's what she had to say about it --

"I have to tell you that I have baked the gingerbread 3 times so far. I took one to a potluck. It was the faculty dinner. I had tried a loaf pan as the recipe suggests(big mistake) but it came out ok. But I think the dark appearance was off-putting to the gastronomically timid.You know teachers. (I can barely get anyone to go out for vietnamese food on inservice days.They remind me of those people on Garrison Keillor with the church supper salads) Those who actually tried the gingerbread, loved it. Anyway I had some to take home.
Then I decided to get a pretty bundt pan (larger) and try again. So I did. This was wildly successful with both recipients. Now my friend Jean swears she can taste the Guiness. I think she's crazy. I just taste ginger. Even with the much larger bundt mine overflowed onto the cookie sheet underneath. In fact the third time I got smart and plugged the center hole in the bundt with foil. (cleaning the inside of that space is no fun) I did type in some cautions on my copy of the recipe. One about the "science experiment" with the molasses, Guiness and baking soda-YIKES. Another about how liquidy it looks going into the pan. You really are sorely tempted to add more flour. I resisted temptation, but worried it would never set.
Oh, do other types of stout work do you suppose? I saw an "oat stout" at the market and wondered.
I will probably give several more as gifts. Thanks for sharing that recipe. It has been the hit of the season here."