14 February 2007

Nothing says "I love you" like a dead rodent.

Today, I received the best valentine ever. His Gusness killed a mouse and laid it at my feet. It was very romantical. I plied him with Greenies, and he spent the rest of the afternoon lolling on his favorite perch looking pleased with himself.

I'm pleased that Gus is taking another crucial step towards becoming a real cat. We'll be working on the outdoors business more when it gets warm again. There's no convincing him to go out in the cold, much less the snow.

Oh yeah, we've had a metric shit-ton of snow. I don't know if anyone heard any excitement over the mystifying appearance of winter weather in February. It came, saw, and bitch-slapped us around a little. The snow is all light and feathery, which makes for easier clearing, but it's been falling fast pretty much all day.


Even more exciting than the first proper blizzard of the winter, is the first Brooklyn-New Hampshire visit of 2007. Carson has dusted off his best black turtleneck sweater in anticipation. I expect there'll be a fair amount of eating, drinking, lounging... and perhaps a little romping in the snow?

And I think I speak for everyone when I say that we'll wish Toby were her.

4 comments:

J said...

I can't wait!! I'm going to bring extra socks for the snow! And we can wear plastic bags on our feet and dogs on our heads just like the New Hampshire pioneers of ol'.

claire said...

so when I arrive on your doorstep tonight carrying a dead animal we found on the side of the road in our travels, you'll find it romantic and sweet and ply me with cookies and beer?
niiiiice.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

are you sure he killed it? were you an eyewitness? 'cause he's pretty shifty--could be claiming someone else's work as his own. i don't trust him. and if the rodent was already dead before señor gussypantalones got to it, i'm not sure it counts. he'd still be a square one faux feline.

Sheena said...

Will! Questioning Gus's rodent-killing integrity?

Well, considering the other cat of the house has no means to get into the basement, and we don't have any poison down there...

I suppose its possible that His Gusness picked up a mouse who'd died of natural causes, but I really do think he's responsible. His interest in the mouse-inhabited areas of the house have to pay off eventually, right?